Thursday, March 1, 2012

Saving Bapu's Soul

In one of my jobs in the land of the free, my office was next to that of a gentleman, who seemed like a really nice and caring person. We worked on different projects, and didn't interact much. One day, while I was holding a stack of books with one hand, and trying to put the key in the door-lock of my office with the other, he offered to help. And then, we started talking, although I soon realized that we had very different backgrounds. Bob and I, were very different people. While I was a borderline atheist at that point in my life, he was a conservative evangelical Christian, and a strong believer in fire and brimstone.

One evening, while I was beginning to head home, we met each other in the corridor and exchanged pleasantries. All of a sudden, he asked, "Hey, I am going to the church tomorrow. Do you mind if I pray for you?"

"I would be delighted if you do!" I said. And then, to reciprocate, just like you feel like handing over someone a piece of candy when they give you gum, I said, "And do you mind if I pray for you, in one of my spiritual moments?"

Suddenly, he looked very tense. "Depends on who you are praying to. Would your prayers be directed to Christ? You know, only if someone prays to Christ for you, can your soul be saved." Although I have read the holy bible many times and I am a big fan of Jesus, I somehow found his attitude very condescending.

And so, I decided to reciprocate, "Well, usually I pray to Lucifer. And in case, you are trying to save my soul by praying for me, tough luck there. A long time ago, I sold my soul to the devil for a bottle of Jack Daniel's, and a pack of Marlboro."  Bob never talked to me again.

Recently, I read an interesting story about Mahatma Gandhi. It seems that in the last few months, the Mormon church covertly baptized Bapu's soul, and then, removed the public records on it. I have heard that it is fairly routine business for the Mormon church to take famous historical personalities, and baptize their souls. The intentions are obviously very noble -- the soul has to be saved.

Of course, I am not going to talk about the uproar from Hindu religious groups and the other cults that had previously attempted to baptize Bapu's soul. That, would be a long discussion.

However, I did try to run through a few facts, my thinking being somewhat prejudiced, from years of training as an engineer -- who follows logic, and from years of reading all types of religious books -- out of plain old curiosity.

Bapu was a devout Hindu, in fact, he died with Ram's name on his lips. And, he died an unnatural death, which, according to to the Hindu religious texts, would require his soul to be reborn, despite the fact that he was a Mahatma. For true freedom from the cycle of birth and death (moksha), one needs to die a natural death, when their time comes, and all Karma needs to be properly finished. I also believe that the remaining Karma for Bapu, was very little, perhaps, like a drop in the bucket. And so, if he was reborn, he would be required to do only one or two good things in his new life.

And then, he could party. As much as he liked. And, he would still be guaranteed the moksha that was well earned.

Oh yes, one more thing. According to the Hindu texts, a proper reincarnation takes place within a year of a person's death. Since Bapu was assassinated in January 1948, I was looking at a list of famous people, who were born in the year 1948.  And, I was specially looking for people, whose life has been, more or less, a party.

And surprise surprise, I found that the pretender to the Royal throne of the empire, on which once the sun  never set, Charles, the prince of Wales, was born in 1948. So, there is a strong possibility that the Mormon church will now be after the soul of the prince and by extension -- the Mahatma.

While the British secret service, MI6, takes note of my analysis, and sends agent 007 after the Mormon church, there is also that other possibility of course. That I am writing this up after my second drink this evening, and, that once I finish this up, I will have my third. But, you have to agree with me, that my analysis, is right on, although, I may not have identified the real reincarnation of Bapu.

I am sure you could help. Just find someone, male or female, who was born in 1948. And then, save his or her soul -- from the Mormon church.

6 comments:

  1. Godse said that he didn't say 'hey ram' at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right, but I still tend to believe that one way or the other, he must have thought of God in his final moments.

      Delete
  2. Awesome blog...

    mumbaiflowerplaza.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoyed the read thoroughly!!
    say hi to lucifer next time you pray :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desi Babu, It must be Vijay Mallya.That's the name that popped up first when i read the post. But he misses the Bus by Seven years; i checked it out from Google.
    Please recheck the Hindu Sashtra; i really doubt that there must be some concessions for special people's souls. May be they are allowed a period of Seven years interval before rebirth.
    Mallya's soul surely needs to be saved; he life is the envy of atleast Half a billion men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not related to this post, but I am reading "Discovery of India" by Nehru (No, I don't belong to any party) and it is quite a delighful read. I can call it a high quality scholarly work for his time.

    ReplyDelete